A Singular Focus On Family Law. The Law Offices of David Bliven opened its doors in 2000 with the intention of helping individuals and their families when they most need legal help. Ever since, we have remained true to our aim.
We have made family law our singular focus. Our firm possesses a thorough understanding of the law, a thorough understanding of the court system, and a thorough understanding of how best to help our clients achieve their legal goals.
A Legacy Of Service Throughout New York.
Whether entering divorce proceedings
or negotiating child visitation schedules
, our firm has the resources and the knowledge to assist. Some couples can settle matters easily and need a lawyer only to handle technical documents. Others, however, find themselves in need of comprehensive legal help to protect their interests and their relationships. In all concerns, we work closely with our clients and tailor our representation to fit their needs.
Serving primarily Westchester and the Bronx, we provide guidance for a range of family law considerations, including:
- Divorce (uncontested & contested, including high net worth cases)
- Same-sex family law
- Child Custody and Visitation
- Paternity & Child Support
- Juvenile Delinquency
- Child Abuse & Neglect
- Adoption and foster care
- Domestic abuse (Orders of Protection)
Attorney David Bliven graduated with honors from Syracuse University in 1993 with a B.A. in Sociology. He went on to serve as a judicial intern and statistician with the NYS Commission on City Court Judicial Reallocation with the Office of the Deputy Chief Administrative Judge.
David Bliven then attended law school at New York Law School, where he graduated in 1997 with honors and ranked within the top 15% of his class.Upon graduation, he worked in private practice for a year, doing mostly matrimonial work, before serving as a prosecutor for nearly 3 years with the NYC Administration for Children's Services. There he prosecuted child support, child abuse/neglect and foster care cases on behalf of the City of New York.
After leaving the prosecutor position, Mr. Bliven opened his present practice in 2000. His philosophy is to provide quality legal representation at affordable prices. His practice is approximately 99% Divorce & Family Court cases, as well as some governmental misconduct cases.Mr Bliven has an "AV" rating from Martindale-Hubbell (the highest possible rating in both Legal Ability & Ethical Standards), a perfect 10.0 rating from Avvo ("Superb" rating) and is listed in the "Super Lawyers" directory by Thomson Reuters (a distinction given to less than 5% of all attorneys in each field of practice). Finally, he is a Certified Financial Litigators (AACFL), which is particularly helpful on high net worth and high income cases.
Mr Bliven also authors "Cases That Help" - an annual caselaw newsletter distributed to Family Court Assigned Counsel panels throughout the State of New York.
Finally, he has been published at such periodicals as Nolo.com, New York Law Journal and Westchester Lawyer, and is the author of the book "Navigating Your New York Divorce Case."
A sampling of the Continuing Legal Education courses Mr Bliven has taken is below (a complete list can be provided):
- How to Prepare Your Divorce Case: For Trial or Settlement;
- How to Handle a Custody Trial;
- Matrimonial Trial Institute,
- Handling Support and Family Offense Proceedings in Family Court;
- How to Handle a Matrimonial Case from Start to Finish;
- A Matrimonial Motion Practice Odyssey;
- How to Try Your Divorce Case: Grounds, Equitable Distribution, Support;
- The Use of Mental Health Professionals in Contested Child Custody Cases;
- How to Analyze and Challenge Custody Evaluations;
- Drafting Settlement Agreements – Life Insurance and Estate Provisions, Common Mistakes We All Make and Pitfalls to Avoid;
- Divorce Economics Institute: Review & Analysis of Selected Financial Issues;
- Negotiating & Drafting Matrimonial Agreements;
- Cutting Edge Matrimonial Issues: The Money, The Children and Separate Property;
- Analyzing an Equitable Distribution Action for Settlement and Trial;
- Handling a Child Custody Case From Intake to Trial;
- Courtroom Evidence;
- Family Court Trial Institute.
TOP 5 REASONS TO HIRE US:
- Prosecutorial experience. Mr. Bliven is a former Family Court prosecutor – experience relatively few practitioners in the field of Family Law have.
- Personalized attention. This means the minute you’re out the door, your case won’t be passed off to some low-level Associate whom you’ve never met. It also means, with rare exceptions, if you have a court appearance, yours will be the only case Mr Bliven has on his calendar that day. This ensures your case will be granted his full attention – can the other lawyers you consult with promise that?
- Family Law Concentration. With extremely rare exceptions, the only cases Mr Bliven handles are matrimonial and family law matters. Lawyers are expected to keep abreast of changes in the law, through reading caselaw and taking continuing legal education courses. Nearly all of Mr Bliven’s studies are dedicated to staying on the cutting edge of developments in Family Law. If other lawyers split their time between three, four, five or more fields, how up-to-date do you think they are in any given field?
- Top-notch credentials. Not only does Mr Bliven have a perfect 10.0 rating from Avvo, he was also selected as a “Super Lawyer” from Thomson Reuters and has an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell (the highest possible rating in both legal ability & ethical standards). Moreover, he graduated with honors from law school with a top 15% ranking. Finally, he is a Certified Financial Litigator. Can the other lawyers you visit say all that?
- Well-rounded experience. Mr Bliven doesn’t “specialize” as a “Father’s Rights” or “Mother’s Rights” advocate. He represents all comers – men, women, even children, rich and poor. And he’s been doing it for over 20 years.
Visit Us on the following Social Media pages: